Fobzu's Scholarship Programmes
Fobzu Scholarship Support
One way Fobzu supports access to education for young Palestinians is by providing scholarships to students in financial need. Not only do scholarships provide vital assistance for young people facing hardship, they are also an important source of hope to a generation growing up under occupation.
Fobzu supports students at universities across occupied Palestine, as well as at Birzeit.
Each Fobzu scholarship covers the fees of a university course for one year and we aim to provide support for students for the duration of a typical 4-year degree.
Fobzu-UNRWA scholarships supporting Palestinian refugees
Palestinian refugees are facing a major threat to their rights as a result of the US administration's decision to withdraw funding for UNRWA and change its UN mandate. The body established by the international community to uphold the dignity and rights of the Palestinian refugees remains in "existential crisis". At this critical time, Fobzu has launched ten new scholarships for Palestinian refugee students.
Fobzu is working with UNRWA to provide these students with the financial support they need to complete undergraduate degrees at universities in the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip. Fobzu refugee scholarship holders are selected by UNRWA Scholarship Advisory Committees on the basis of academic merit and financial need, in coordination with Fobzu. With the generosity of our supporters, we want to help more Palestinian refugees experience the hope that education offers.
Learn more about Palestinian Refugees here.
Interested in sponsoring a Palestinian student?
Endowed and Sponsored Scholarships
In addition to our general scholarship programme, the generosity of our donors enables Fobzu to provide the following endowed or sponsored scholarships:
At present, we provide scholarships through the Fobzu-UNRWA Scholarship Programme and directly through Birzeit University.
Fobzu-UNRWA scholarships are provided to Palestinian refugee students registered with UNRWA in Gaza and at Birzeit University in the West Bank. Selection is conducted by UNRWA, governed by 'UNRWA Education Technical Instructions', and overseen by local UNRWA Scholarship Advisory Committees. Potential students are ranked using a score sheet that takes into account a variety of socio-economic factors as well as academic merit.
At Birzeit University, our students are selected on the basis of recommendation by the Grants and Financial Aid Committee at the Deanship of Student Affairs, a body comprising academics, university staff and student representatives. Students are identified for financial support based on the following criteria:
- Students who are in financial need
- Families of students registered for support with the Ministry of Social Affairs
- Students from families with one breadwinner because the other breadwinner doesn’t work, is sick (chronic disease), or deceased
- Students with more than one sibling enrolled in the university
- Students who have completed one semester with at least an average of 12 credit hours
- Student should be a regular student at the time of obtaining a grant
- Student’s cumulative grade point average should not be less than 70%
- Student should not have obtained a grant from any other source
- The primary determinant for obtaining these grants is based on two basic conditions: the students’ GPA is not less than 70% and he or she has a need for financial aid
- Donor requirements are also taken into account, if they do not conflict with the committee’s standards
For Prospective Students
Fobzu currently works with Birzeit University and UNRWA to provide scholarships for students in financial need studying in Palestine. We do not accept applications from students directly.
Students intending to study at Birzeit University should apply for support through the Financial Aid Unit.
Scholarship opportunities provided by UNRWA are advertised at UNRWA centres, including schools, clinics and offices. Prospective students can also find out more information on UNRWA's new online scholarship portal here.