Fobzu (Friends of Birzeit University) – Programme Officer
Would you like to work for one of the longest-running Palestinian solidarity organisations in the UK and contribute to a dynamic phase of renewal? Fobzu is dedicated to supporting Palestinian higher education and is looking to hire an energetic Programme Officer to work part time for two to three days a week either based in, or with occasional trips to London.
Job title: Programme Officer – part time, 2-3 days (16-24 hours) per week
Location: Central London/Working from home
Salary: £28,000 – £30,000 (pro rata) per year, depending on experience
Timeline: Preferred start date – September; interviews held week beginning 22nd August
Application deadline: 12 noon, Monday 8th August
About the Organisation: Fobzu (Friends of Birzeit University) is a UK registered charity founded in 1978 to support Palestinian higher education. Today we do this by providing scholarships for Palestinian students and creating opportunities for Palestinian scholars. We also work to further links between UK and Palestinian academics, raise awareness about education under occupation and in exile, and advocate for the Palestinian right to education.
Job Description: The new Programme Officer will play a crucial part in expanding Fobzu’s capacity in order to deliver an ambitious plan for 2022/3 and beyond. They will play a multi-faceted role supporting the Development Director and Board of Trustees in running Fobzu’s diverse and growing portfolio of activities, which will provide the opportunity to gain experience in a variety of arenas.
The Programme Officer will play a leading role in the administration of Fobzu’s scholarships, as well as assisting in growing Fobzu’s academic support, higher education links and awareness programmes. They will contribute to expanding the charity’s reach online, as well as assisting with producing educational materials, and running and publicising events and fundraising appeals. This job offers an opportunity to develop a range of skills and contribute to the renewal and expansion of a long-established and well-respected charity.
This post is for two to three days per week, with normal office hours and occasional evening events. This is a fixed term job for one year, with renewal by mutual agreement.
- Liaising with Fobzu’s scholarship partners, Birzeit University and UNRWA to ensure the smooth day-to-day running of the scholarship programme.
- Assisting with the day-to-day administration of Fobzu’s academic support, higher education links and awareness programmes.
- Processing of payments and income, maintaining excellent administrative and financial records for Fobzu programmes and fundraising, and ensuring the latter are passed on to the accountant and available to the Treasurer and Development Director.
- Facilitating feedback to donors from students by collecting and preparing student statements, videos and academic transcripts.
- Assisting the Development Director in sustaining and expanding donor relations through maintaining good donor records and facilitating donor reciprocity.
- Collaborating with the Development Director in producing high-quality communications for Fobzu, including designing and preparing Fobzu’s monthly newsletter, online promotion of the charity, its activities and fundraising campaigns.
- Conducting essential research for programme development and advocacy initiatives.
- Preparing data tracking of Fobzu’s output and performance for the Development Director and Board of Trustees.
Essential Skills and Qualifications:
- Excellent communication skills – written and verbal; fluency in English (written and spoken)
- Proficiency in effective use of social media platforms
- Excellent administrative, organisational and research skills
- Ability to work on varied projects with creativity and flexibility
- Familiarity of modern Palestinian history and current social and political context
- Proficiency with standard software packages, e.g. MS Word, Excel
- Undergraduate level degree or equivalent
- Right to work in the UK
- At least two full years equivalent of work experience
Desirable (but not essential) Skills and Qualifications:
- Written and spoken fluency in Arabic
- Experience using Quickbooks and Salesforce
- Knowledge and experience of the UK NGO/charitable sector
- Familiarity and experience with the Palestinian higher education sector
- Experience working on rights-based campaigns and awareness-raising initiatives
Candidates should send a current CV and covering letter by 12 noon, Monday 8th August via CharityJob here. If you have any queries about this position, please contact Fobzu Director, Omar Shweiki.